Getting Nonprofits on Web3
Learn about accepting cryptocurrency donations, the Metaverse & more.
// STAY IN THE KNOW //
Why are Crypto donations good for nonprofits?
- More Secure than Regular Cash Donations
- (Can be) Anonymous
- No Chargebacks
- Can be Used Anywhere in the World
- More Transparent and Traceable Donation Process
Why should charities and nonprofits care about the Metaverse?
The Metaverse is a digital, three-dimensional space that can be accessed through virtual reality technologies (or other technologies). The best way to understand the Metaverse is to think of it like the Second Life game from years ago. Virtual worlds offer a completely immersive experience that allows people who are in different physical locations to meet and interact with one another.
There are many reasons why nonprofits should care about the Metaverse including:
- The ability to provide a 3D experience – Many people find three-dimensional graphics much more immersive than 2D images or videos.
- The ability to create worlds – Nonprofits can create worlds where their supporters can engage with them around projects they care about.
- Social engagement – With virtual reality, people can socialize (with avatars) as if they were meeting face-to-face.
- Ability to communicate difficult concepts – Nonprofit organizations often tackle complex problems with hard-to-communicate concepts which could be presented a lot easier in a virtual space.
- These benefits of the Metaverse offer new opportunities for nonprofits and charities who want to use this emerging technology for social good.
What does Web3 mean to charities and nonprofits?
Web3 is defined as the third generation of the internet, an interactive world that brings people, data, and machines together to share information like never before. Web3 is a world full of blockchain technology, cryptocurrency, virtual reality, and other technologies not currently as prevalent. Web3 is also poised to be more decentralized, where ownership of platforms is held by the users.
Web2 (the phase state of the internet) does incorporate some of the aforementioned technology, it’s just not as widely available or used. Web2 is more about social media, user generated content, and centralized ownership of the internet.
Web3 is giving charities and nonprofits an opportunity to revolutionize the way they do business. Here are some ways Web3 strategies will benefit nonprofits:
Blockchain technologies are set to transform the nonprofit sector by streamlining donations, promoting transparency and eliminating financial risk. Blockchain is a public digital ledger that records transactions and can be used to keep track of different units of currency, property or even votes. With blockchain technology, it becomes easier for people to see where their donations are going and increase accountability in the donation process.
Empowering the user base: The old-school methods of giving are being bypassed by the new digital technology and platforms. Nonprofits can benefit from a Web 3.0 strategy that transforms how they deliver their messages and raises funds.
The Metaverse will allow for better/different storytelling and the ability to explain complex concepts in easier to understand formats and experiences.
The above are only a few of the benefits.
- Further Reading: What Is Web 3.0 And How Do You Navigate Web 3.0?
What does crypto mean to charities and nonprofits?
Charities and nonprofits are faced with fundraising challenges. This is because there are so many organizations competing for the same funds.
So, how can you get ahead? One way is to embrace new technologies, such as cryptocurrency. By integrating crypto into your nonprofit, you will be able to attract a wider audience, get more contributions from potential donors, and lots more.
Read: Why Crypto Donations Are Good For Nonprofits
How does the IRS verify charitable donations?
The IRS has strict guidelines for what makes a valid charitable donation. If you don’t meet all of these requirements then you may not get the deduction on your taxes that you were expecting.
One of the best ways to verify charitable donations is to ask for a receipt and keep your own records.
Does donating to charity help with taxes?
You may be wondering if donating crypto to charity can help you with taxes. The answer is yes, it can! There are many different ways that you can give back to the world and reduce your tax obligations. And giving crypto to charity is one of them.
Read: Cryptocurrency Donations: Tax Benefits To Donors