The Metaverse is a digital, three-dimensional space that can be accessed through virtual reality technologies (or other technologies). The best way to understand the Metaverse is to think of it like the Second Life game from years ago. Virtual worlds offer a completely immersive experience that allows people who are in different physical locations to meet and interact with one another.
There are many reasons why nonprofits should care about the Metaverse including:
- The ability to provide a 3D experience – Many people find three-dimensional graphics much more immersive than 2D images or videos.
- The ability to create worlds – Nonprofits can create worlds where their supporters can engage with them around projects they care about.
- Social engagement – With virtual reality, people can socialize (with avatars) as if they were meeting face-to-face.
- Ability to communicate difficult concepts – Nonprofit organizations often tackle complex problems with hard-to-communicate concepts which could be presented a lot easier in a virtual space.
- These benefits of the Metaverse offer new opportunities for nonprofits and charities who want to use this emerging technology for social good.